Website Sixth Sense Training
The University of Edinburgh is looking for a hard-working and committed individual to join them as a Creative & Digital Marketing Modern Apprentice. Within this role, you will be based within their Corporate Communications, Internal Communications and the News Team which is part of the
University’s Communications and Marketing department. Together they manage and enhance the University’s reputation across a range of internal and external audiences, provide news content for the University’s corporate website and staff/student channels, and create content for its social media channels and internal eNewsletters.
Working in a hybrid way, both at home and with the teams based in our central Edinburgh campus, you will spend six months with each team and develop the University’s presence across a range of platforms. You will gain valuable experience and develop a range of skills by working with experienced communications professionals in a world-class university.
Typical duties may include:
● Assisting with the delivery of the media relations programme, including the preparation and distribution of press releases and media monitoring.
● Working with colleagues to help develop original content for corporate and internal channels that showcase strategically important news or information.
● Assisting colleagues to help create campaigns and share content across a range of internal channels to support University communities, and monitoring their impact.
● Assisting with managing events that have media or internal communities in attendance.
● Assisting with managing enquiries from the media and internal stakeholders.
● Helping to develop databases of key journalistic contacts, tracking media coverage and developing position statements.
What will you Learn?
● You will complete an SQA Diploma in Digital Marketing, at SVQ level 6.
● You will develop your ‘soft skills’ (e.g. communication skills, working in an organisation, interpersonal skills, customer service, using your own initiative, teamwork, problem solving, etc.).
● You will learn about news writing, media relations and internal communications using a variety of channels as part of the communications mix.
The successful applicant will:
● Gain experience working with communications specialists, increase confidence while operating in a fast-paced media environment and develop a range of interpersonal skills.
● Gain experience of working accurately, methodically and to schedule.
● Gain confidence by working within a team environment, and developing problem-solving and skills associated with good communications and media relations.
● Gain confidence and experience using a range of communication tools in a professional environment.
What Qualifications/Qualities are Required?
● They are looking for an individual who is proactive, friendly, flexible and understands the importance of teamwork.
● Enthusiastic, willing to learn, punctual, reliable, committed and self-motivated with great attention to detail.
● National 5 or above including English and Maths, good writing skills are also required.
● A working understanding of Microsoft Office suite or similar e.g. Excel and Word.
● Excellent ability to think logically and pass on information in a clear concise manner, written and verbally.
● A willingness to learn and develop new skills.
● An interest in communications, media, storytelling, media monitoring and digital communications.
● A willingness to participate in a Modern Apprentice programme.
● Evidence of interest in communications, news and current affairs.
● Experience of working in an office-based environment.
About The University of Edinburgh
To maintain its reputation as one of the world’s leading universities, they recruit the best people to a variety of support, professional and academic roles each year. They offer an exciting, positive, creative, challenging and rewarding place to work. They give you support, nurture your talent, develop and reward success and integrate professional and personal career goals, as well as give your career
the benefit of a great and distinguished reputation. In addition, their employees benefit from a competitive reward package and a wide range of staff benefits.
Corporate Communications, Internal Communications and the News Team are all part of the University’s Communications and Marketing department. Together they manage and enhance the University’s reputation across a range of internal and external audiences, provide news content for the University’s corporate website and staff/student channels, and create content for its social media channels and internal eNewsletters.
Your training will start with a 6-12 months Digital Marketing Modern Apprenticeship, which consists of learning on the job, as well as our custom-built E-Learning platform. You will develop all the skills you need to pass your work-based assessments. Our assessors are available to provide one-to-one support and will work with your line manager to ensure you settle into your new role.
You will gain a Diploma in Digital Marketing, which is a Nationally recognised qualification and may be used to gain employment and further your career in Digital Marketing.
***Please note all candidates must be 16-24 due to government apprenticeship funding and must be able to easily commute to Edinburgh city centre every weekday. We welcome applicants from aged 16-29 if you are care experienced or a person with a physical disability, learning difficulty, mental health difficulty, social / communication impairment, or long-standing health issue***
Please note: there are two other modern apprenticeship roles advertised in the same department – please see these below:
Hours: Full-Time hours, Fixed Term Contract – 18 months
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £19,092.00 per year
To apply for this job please visit www.sixthsense.scot.